SAVED BY FAITH ALONE? by steve finnell
Are Christians saved by faith alone? Christians are saved by believing, but by believing what is the question?
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. (NASB)
Because of God's grace we are saved by faith. Good works cannot save. Keeping the law of Moses cannot save. Living a perfect life cannot save.
Jesus said in, Mark 16:16 He who has believed and been baptized shall be saved....(NASB)
He who has believed "what," shall be saved? First, he who has believed Jesus when He said you have to believe and be baptized in order to be saved.
HAS BELIEVED WHAT?
What did the three thousand converts believe after they heard the first gospel sermon preached? They believed everyone who calls on the Lord will be saved. (Acts 2:21)
1. They believed that Jesus performed miracles, wonders and signs. (Acts 2:22)
2. They believed Jesus died on the cross. (Acts 2:23)
3. They believed that God the Father raised Jesus from the dead. (Acts 2:24-32)
4. They believed Jesus is at the right hand of God. (Acts 2:33-35)
5. The believed God made Jesus Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:36)
6. They believed they needed to repent and be baptized in water in order to have their sin forgiven and to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, (Acts 2:38)
7. They believed they needed to be saved, so they believed the words of Peter and were baptized. (Acts 2:40-41)