BAPTIST DOCTRINE AND WATER BAPTISM by steve finnell
Is Baptist doctrine on water baptism equal to Christian doctrine?
1. Baptist Doctrine: Water baptism is not essential in order to have transgressions forgiven. Ref. None in Scripture.
Christian Doctrine: Water baptism is essential in order to have transgressions forgiven. Ref. Colossians 2:11-13 ....buried with Him in baptism...13....having forgiven us all our transgressions.(NASB)
2. Baptist Doctrine: Water baptism is simply for a demonstration of faith to the community, and not for forgiveness of sins..Ref. Made man opinion, no Scripture
Christian Doctrine: Water baptism is in order to have sins forgiven. Ref. Acts 2:38 ...and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of you sins...(NASB)
3. Baptist Doctrine: Water baptism has no part in salvation. Ref. Denominational doctrine, no Scripture given.
Christian Doctrine: Water baptism is part of salvation. Ref. 1 Peter 3:20-21...brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you....(NASB)
4. Baptist Doctrine: Baptism does not in any way precede salvation. Ref. Baptist opinion, no Scripture given.
Christian Doctrine: Salvation follows water baptism. Ref. Mark 16:16 ....and has been baptized shall be saved...(NASB)
5.Baptist Doctrine: Men enter the kingdom of God even though they have never been baptized in water. Ref. Baptist teaching, not found in Scripture.
Christian Doctrine: You must be born of water baptism to enter the kingdom of God. Ref. John 3:5 ...unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.(NASB)
6. Baptist Doctrine: Water baptism has nothing to do with sanctifying the church and cleansing it. Ref. Baptist opinions, not found in the Bible.
Christian Doctrine: Christ made the church holy and blameless by water baptism. Ref. Ephesians 5:25-27....26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,27......that she would be holy and blameless.(NASB)
7. Baptist Doctrine: Men can get into heaven without being baptized in water, however, men must be baptized in water to get into the Baptist church. Ref. Not found in the Bible. God did not say it. Jesus did not say it. The Holy Spirit did not say it. The apostles did not say it.
Christian doctrine on water baptism is found in Scripture and Scripture alone.