COULD PRIDE BE THE PROBLEM? by steve finnell
Could pride be the reason men misinterpret Scripture? Adam and Eve believed Satan rather than believing God. They had a pride problem. Genesis 3:1-12.......5...you will be like God.... (NASB) Eve wanted to be like God. She later admitted that she had been deceived. (Genesis 3:13). Most who are deceived by false teaching never put pride aside and admit they have been deceived.
Proverbs 26:12 Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.(NASB)
Which would indicate pride? The Scripture or the opinion and interpretation of Scripture
1. Scripture: Mark 16:16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. (NASB)
2. Opinion & Interpretation: He who has believed is saved and should be baptized as a testimony of his faith.
3. Opinion & Interpretation: He who has believed is saved by faith alone, and immersion in water is not essential in order to be saved.
4. Opinion & Interpretation: He who believes has been selected for salvation and those who do not believe have been selected to burn in hell.
5. Opinion & Interpretation: He who believes is saved, but there are other ways to the Father.
6. Opinion & Interpretation: He who is baptized as an infant is saved without believing.
7. Opinion & Interpretation: He who believes is saved, however, must be baptized to enter the denominational church of his choice. He can get to heaven by "faith alone," however, he cannot be a member of the Baptist Church by "faith only."
8. Opinion & Interpretation: He who believes and has been spiritually baptized shall be saved. Water baptism is not essential for salvation.
When pride enters into interpretation of Scripture; confusion follows.
Proverbs 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. (NASB)
Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom. (NASB)
Scripture interprets Scripture. Prideful men give personal interpretations and opinions of Scripture.
Prayer is the cure for PRIDE!