WHY DID JESUS COMMAND WATER BAPTISM? by steve finnell
Why did Jesus command water baptism? What do the Scriptures tell us?
THE COMMAND: Matthew 28:16-19.......19"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, (NKJV)
Jesus command the eleven disciples to baptize all nations in water. What was the purpose of water baptism?
1. Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.(NKJV)
By believers being immersed in water they are clothed with Christ.
2. Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved...(NKJV)
Believers who have been immersed in water will be saved.
3. Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(NKJV)
Repentant believers who have been immersed in water will have their sins forgiven and they will receive the indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit.
4. Romans 6:3-7 ...4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.......6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.....(NKJV)
Believers in Jesus who have been immersed in water can walk in a new life, they no longer have to be slaves to sin.
5. Acts 22:16 'And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.' (NKJV)
Believers who have been immersed in water have had their sins washed away.
6. Acts 2:40,41,47 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 47 .....And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.(NKJV)
Repentant believers who have been immersed in water become saved from the penalty of sin and the Lord adds them to His church. The church is the body of Christ.
7. Colossians 2:11-13...12 buried with Him in baptism... 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made you alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,(NKJV)
Believer who have been immersed in water have been forgiven all their sins.
WHAT DO CERTAIN BELIEVERS IN DENOMINATIONS TEACH US ABOUT WATER BAPTISM?
1. Water baptism is not essential for salvation. (Not found in the Bible)
2. Water baptism is not for the forgiveness of sins. (Not found in the Bible)
3. Water baptism is simply for a testimony of faith. (Not found in the Bible)
4. Water baptism is in order to be baptized into a denominational church or in order to join the church of your choice. (Not found in the Bible)
5. Water baptism means being sprinkled, or poured with water. (Not found in the Bible)
6. Water baptism in not being baptized into Christ.(Not found in the Bible.)
7. Water baptism is in order to wash away the guilt of original inherited sin from Adam.(Not found in the Bible)
8. Water baptism is unnecessary, period.(Not found in the Bible)
9. The one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4:5 in not water baptism. (Not found in the Bible)
10. Unbelievers such as infants, and small children should be baptized against their will.(Not found in the Bible)
11. Teaching about being baptized in water should be based on denominational creed books because the Bible is not God's final authority.(Not found in the Bible.)
WHAT DO YOU TRUST? DO YOU TRUST THE BIBLE? DO YOU TRUST DENOMINATIONAL CREED BOOKS?