Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2016

COULD THE APOSTLE PAUL RESIST SINNING?  by steve finnell


There are Christians who quote the apostle Paul as their excuse for for sinning or living a sinful lifestyle. The example given is  Romans 7:14-15, out of context of course, the lack of proper hermeneutics.

Romans 7:14-15 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.(NKJV)

Was Paul saying that as a Christian who had been washed in the blood of Christ that he could not resist sinning? No he was not

Romans 7:4-6 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another, even to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit of God......6 But now we have been delivered from the law...(NKJV)

The apostle Paul as well as all Christians have been delivered from the law.

Romans 7:24-25 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of death? 25 I thank God ---through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. (NKJV)

Paul was not under the law after he became a Christian. He could resist sin.

Romans 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation now to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but accord to the Spiri.......4 that righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but accord to the Spirit. (NKJV)

Paul and fellow Christians walk according to the Spirit not according to the flesh. They can resist sinning. 

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others , I myself should become disqualified.

The apostle Paul could resist sinning.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (NKJV)

There is no temptation a Christian cannot resist. Christians sin by their own choice.

2 Peter 2:9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgement, (NKJV)

The apostle Paul nor any Christian has to succumb to temptation.

James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (NKJV)

This was a message to Christians. Christian sin because they resist God, not because they cannot resist sinning.

Ephesians 6:11-18 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil....(NKJV)

Yes, Christian can resist the devil.

1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us......(NKJV)

Yes, Christians do sin. Christians sin by choice, not because they cannot resist sinning.       

  

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be posted