IS REPENTANCE ESSENTIAL IN ORDER TO BE SAVED? by steve finnell
A belief among some who claim Jesus as Lord and Savior is that men are saved by faith only. They assert if you simply believe in Jesus your sins are forgiven and you are part of the kingdom of God. Is that a Scriptural concept? No it is not.
Demons believe, however, they are not saved. Demons do not repent.
Mark 5:6-13 Seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him; 7 and shouting with a loud voice, he said "What business do we have with each other, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God, do not torment me!"........12 The demons implored Him, saying, "Send us into the swine so so that we may enter into them." 13 Jesus gave them permission. And coming out, the unclean spirits entered the swine; and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, about two thousand of them; and they were drowned in the sea. (NASB)
1. The demons believed in God.
2. The demons believed that Jesus was the Son of God.
3. The demons were not saved. Why? The demons did not repent.
4. Believing in Jesus without repentance cannot save anyone.
Mark 1:14-15 Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel." (NASB)
1. Note: Jesus said the kingdom of God is at hand. The church of Christ did not arrived until the Day of Pentecost 33 AD. The Lord's church is the kingdom of God on earth.
2. Jesus said repent and believe the gospel.
Luke 24:47 and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (NASB)
1. Jesus said repentance was essential for the forgiveness of sins.
2. Jesus said repentance for forgiveness would begin in Jerusalem. It did begin in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost 33 AD (Acts Chapter two)
3. The new covenant church, that is the kingdom of God on earth began 33 AD at Jerusalem.
Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(NASB)
1.After the three thousand believed the sermon Peter preached, he told the to repent so their sins could be forgiven.
2. Peter also told them to be baptized so their sin could be forgiven.
Acts 2: 38 And Peter replied, "Each one of you must turn from sin, return to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; then you also shall receive this gift, the Holy Spirit. (The Living Bible-Paraphrased)
1. The three thousand had to make the commitment to turn from sin and turn toward God.
2. Yes, repentance is essential in order to receive the forgiveness of sins.
3. Yes, water immersion is connected with a conjunction to link repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; (NASB)
1. Yes repentance is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.
Acts 3:19 Now change your mind and attitude to God and turn to him so he can cleanse away your sins and send you wonderful times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord. (The Living Bible-Paraphrased)
1. Yes repentance is essential.
Repentance is essential for the forgiveness of sins. Acts 2:38
Faith is essential for the forgiveness of sins. John 3:16
Water immersion is essential for the forgiveness of sins. Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 3:21, Acts 22:16
Confession is essential for the forgiveness of sins. Romans 10:9-10