IF BAPTISM IS NECESSARY ? by steve finnell
Quote by John MacArthur " If water baptism were necessary for salvation, we would expect to find it stressed whenever the gospel is presented in Scripture.That is not the case, however." [Ref. source:http://www.gty.org/Resources/Question/Qa79]
Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart the God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.(NKJV)
It is clear that in order to be saved you must believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead. Does God have to mention that every time the gospel is presented in Scripture? Of course not. Believing that God raised Jesus from the dead is essential for salvation even if it is only mention one time in Scripture.
Acts 3:19 "Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,(NKJV)
This verse says men need to repent in order to have their sins blotted out. Is it imperative that this be mention in every Scripture where the gospel is presented? Of course not. One time is enough.
1 Peter 3:21 There is an antitype which now saves us, namely baptism..(NKJV)
Water baptism is essential in order to be saved. Does water baptism have to be mentioned in every verse in the Bible were the gospel is presented? Of course not. One time is enough.
The church of Jesus Christ was started on the Day of Pentecost 33 AD.
What was presented in the first gospel sermon?
1. Jesus was a miracles worker. Acts 2:22.
2. God raised Jesus from the dead. Acts 2:29-32
3. Jesus was preached as Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36.
4. They were told to repent and be baptized in order to have their sin forgiven. Acts 2:37-38.
The terms of pardon are obvious to anyone seeking the truth.
1. Faith: John 3:36
2. Repentance: Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19, Luke 24:47
3. Confession: Romans 10:9
4. Immersion in water: Mark 16:16, Acts 22:16, Acts 2:38, John 3:5, Romans 6:3-7, Galatians 3:27, Ephesians 5:25-27, Colossians 2:12-13, Titus 3:5.
The simple truth is whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Mark 16:16